We often hear people ask “why am I hare” or “what purpose is my life”.
I want to talk about what makes us a good friend today.
My list is like this:
- Friends share some of the same interests and/or hobbies.
- They are willing to actually listen to you and you return that favor. It’s not a one way street.
- Friends are capable of being empathetic with you. This does not mean pity, but the ability to put themselves in your shoes and understand your emotions.
- Friends accept one another for who they are.
- You cannot control another person and how they feel about something, so friends never try to control you.
- If you are making an attempt to try something different, friends don’t try to tell you what to do even if they think it’s stupid. Unless of course it would be something criminal.
- Friends don’t care how you look. They accept your flaws
- When bad things happen to you your friends don’t disappear out of your life but stick with you.
- Friends don’t criticize you behind your back.
- Friends may disagree with one another, but remain friends even if it is a hot button issue.
- Friends respect you and hold you in esteem.
- Friends don’t criticize you and make you feel bad about yourself.
- Friends allow you to maintain your dignity.
- Friends are kind to you
- Friends, good ones, uplift you with their love and prayers
Readers of this list may have more input on what makes a good friend. Please feel free to add to the list if you want.
We don’t have many good friends in this life. In fact you are very blessed if you one good friend, and blessed even more if you have more than one.
It is important in our lives to remove the people in our lives who are toxic to us. These people just drag us down and drain us. None of us needs that.
God bless to all my friends. I appreciate you.